Saturday, May 7, 2011

Mad zipper skills | Nesting Chairs Pouches

I stumbled across this great shot of these little sweet little zippered pouches by applecyder and was completely inspired to conquer my anxiety over sewing with zippers.  Aren't they darling?!


In her post, applecyder shares links to a few tutorials she's used and the one from Kelby Sews really made the whole concept finally click together. It even shows how to make the tidy little tabs that cover up the zipper ends (aha!!!).

A friend of mine's daughter Hailey (Hi Hales!) uses the term 'mad skills'. Which just makes me giggle. But I have to say, when I sewed up these 2 little zipper pouches, I started feeling all 'mad skill-y'. Look at me sewing zippers! And they're not all munged up and my bag doesn't look like a 2 year old made it!

And for the 2nd project in a row, my seam ripper hasn't made an appearance. I think that's why I was feeling all sassy and mad skill-y when they were done...


I even happened to have a yellow and orange zipper in my stash which were a perfect match to my Nesting Chairs fabric. (The fabric is available in my store here.) The finished size is 7.5" x 8" and they're the perfect size to hold my laptop cables and all the miscellaneous purse goodies that are always floating around at the bottom of my bag. I used some mid-weight interfacing so they have some structure and are really light weight but aren't too bulky.


Next on the skills list: If anyone knows of any tutorials for how to use these little flexiframes clasps (from unhandbag) and be able to cover the hinges, would love it if you'd share :)

16 comments:

Poppyprint said...

Way to go! Your little zippy pouches are adorable. Now for yet another new skill: flex frames. See Ayumi's tutorial in her sidebar at www.pinkpenguin.com. I just made a pouch using her tute and it was easy to follow. Good luck!

www.randomthoughtsdoordi.com said...

those are wonderful bags and I love your fabric.

Linda said...

Cool beans!! I just learned zippy pouches too But I need to make one more for mother's day ( I will put a gift card inside :) I am going to try your version. Thanks for sharing :)

Anonymous said...

You did a great job on those and they are adorable!

Beth said...

There is a really cute pouch tutorial using the clasps on Pink Penguin. Here is a link
http://ayumills.blogspot.com/2010/01/tutorial-puffy-pouch.html

Laurie Wisbrun | Scarlet Fig said...

Thanks gals! I'm definitely going to give Pink Penguin's tute a try. So cute!

{Leila}Where the Orchids Grow said...

Super cute pouches, well done you and your mad skills!

Jewel said...

U-handbag has a tutorial on her blog on the flxi clasps... it is for non-covered but she tells you how to do covered too.

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

I bookmarked that tute a while back, but I have still not ventured to zipper heaven/hell!

Beautiful pouches - good call!

Becky said...

You done good Laurie! Zippers can be a pain but once you do a few more the anxiety will evaporate.

Nova said...

so cute! i love zippy pouches. I was going to suggest the pink penguin tute too :)

molly::applecyder said...

They are adorable!!! Nice work. I second the puffy pouch tutorial, even if you want to make a plain pouch.

Regina said...

Great job with the pouches. I broke down and did some a little over a year about but I didn't learn how to cover the ends until 3 days ago.

Judith said...

They look great. I do love all bags, large and little.

jerseys cheap said...

Thanks gals! I'm definitely going to give Pink Penguin's tute a try. So cute!

cheap nike jerseys said...

You done good Laurie! Zippers can be a pain but once you do a few more the anxiety will evaporate.