I found a 40% coupon for Michael's and went and picked up a 30" x 40" canvas to use. I knew I wanted the piece to not feel to structured, so I cut 6 blocks out of batting. I cut 2 rows of blocks that were 20" wide by varying heights to add up to roughly 48" high. That gave me some wiggle room to make sure I had enough space to join the blocks together (which I did using the usual method for block joining...nothing fancy). Next was the fun step of digging through all of my fabric stash (and of course picking up a few new ones!) to pick out all my favorites to incorporate. Which of course Fiona helped with. Good cat.
Dexter had to supervise the photo session. Dorky cat.
I did run into 2 spots on the piece where I ended up with batting showing (oops). And I didn't notice it until AFTER I had attached the whole piece together and staple-gunned it to the back of the canvas frame. Here's one right above the mattress ticking:
Out came the heat bond adhesive strips and I just used a little piece of printed twill tape to cover it right up. That wouldn't work as a solve for a quilt (I'd have to actually applique it...), but for a wall hanging that won't have to be washed or worn, I think it was the perfect little solve. And I actually really like the way it looks too. I see several of these pieces in my future. Loads of fun!