Thursday, August 9, 2012

Scrappy wall hanging

In my last post I mentioned that I followed this great tutorial to learn about the quilt as you go method. I was completely hooked after making a single block, so I decided I needed a bigger project to work on using the technique and opted to make a wall hanging. Rachel at Stitched in Color has made a lovely one a few weeks ago which inspired me to give my own version a go. And to top it off,  I had the perfect blank spot on a wall that had been waiting patiently for me to find something 'big' to live there.

I found a 40% coupon for Michael's and went and picked up a 30" x 40" canvas to use. I knew I wanted the piece to not feel to structured, so I cut 6 blocks out of batting. I cut 2 rows of blocks that were 20" wide by varying heights to add up to roughly 48" high. That gave me some wiggle room to make sure I had enough space to join the blocks together (which I did using the usual method for block joining...nothing fancy). Next was the fun step of digging through all of my fabric stash (and of course picking up a few new ones!) to pick out all my favorites to incorporate. Which of course Fiona helped with. Good cat.



And ta-da!




Dexter had to supervise the photo session. Dorky cat.



I did run into 2 spots on the piece where I ended up with batting showing (oops). And I didn't notice it until AFTER I had attached the whole piece together and staple-gunned it to the back of the canvas frame. Here's one right above the mattress ticking:


Out came the heat bond adhesive strips and I just used a little piece of printed twill tape to cover it right up. That wouldn't work as a solve for a quilt (I'd have to actually applique it...), but for a wall hanging that won't have to be washed or worn, I think it was the perfect little solve. And I actually really like the way it looks too. I see several of these pieces in my future. Loads of fun!





15 comments:

holly | bijou lovely said...

This is beautiful Laurie! It looks perfect in your house :)

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Oh I love it... so I've added it to my exceedingly long 'to do' list!

Angela said...

Oh Laurie it is great! I keep seeing fabric canvas art and I'm getting the bug to do it as well. I think a Michael's coupon is in my future.

Oh and I just got some Perfectly Perched and picked up that same print you made your top from...and realized that it is BEGGING to be made into a dress for Caitlyn.

So now you are fully responsible for TWO new projects to add to my must do list. lol

Linda said...

It turned out just beautiful! (And what a good "save" over the batting issue!)

Karamat said...

Love your new artwork!

Gina said...

Don' you love it when a mistake leads to making a project better rather than worse!

LethargicLass said...

gosh darn! now I want to make one... I love how it brightens up the room!

Nicole Follow the White Bunny said...

Love the artwork and the cats are gorgeous as well. :)

Dana said...

that looks fabulous! I am totally going to do one of these as well...soon...very soon!

Jennifer said...

Ooooh... so pretty! What a fun way to use favorite scraps!

Jennifer :)

Rachel at Stitched in Color said...

Hurray! It looks very nice there both up close and from a distance. The quilt-as-you-go is a technique I'm going to have to return to soon. Love all those straight lines!

Denny1600 said...

This is very pretty. Inspiring. I like your helpers, too.

Liz said...

I haven't done the quilt as your go, but now I'm definitely tempted. I love your innovative fix, by the way!

May Chappell said...

I need to make one of these! I love it:)

teresa said...

Oh that's a great idea! It turned out beautifully, too. Love the idea of hanging a quilt that way, rather than a dowel.

Great work, Laurie!