Sunday, April 10, 2011

Nesting Chairs - Mug Rug

I started this little project last weekend and woke up this AM itching to sew something. I wanted a little project I could start and finish quickly and was hoping to be able to use some of my Nesting Chairs fabrics and have the opportunity to use some fabric from my stash. I've been hoarding a few small pieces of grey and black handprinted fabric from Umbrella Prints and from Summersville. So this little mug rug mini quilt turned into the perfect project to be able to feature some of those fabrics without depleting my whole stash.


I wish I had remembered to leave more seam allowance for the big bird (so his head wasn't getting lopped off) but c'est la vie. This was also my first try at attaching a binding completely by machine and it was really a breeze on a small project. Have a wonderful rest of your Sunday!

9 comments:

Yummers! said...

Love the fabric and your use of the lone 'big bird'. I'm so happy to have discovered you this morning. I collect interesting fabric andI'm looking forward to adding an assortment of yours to my stash.

I reada bunch of your posts and freaked at the snake under your pot. We only have little garden snakes where I live and even they spook me.

Have a great week!
Joni Possin

Poppyprint said...

Cute! I just love teeny tiny squares.

Kara said...

Holy Moses- what size are those squares?!

PS- SUPER cute!!! :)

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

That is so lovely - how come whenever I sew any pieces that small my machine just munches them up?!

Laurie Wisbrun | Scarlet Fig said...

I cut the squares at 1.5" x 1.5". But I'm kind of greedy when I sew and my 1/4" seams always end up a tad bigger. So once all is said and done the squares are each roughly 7/8". And not at all straight :)

Flying Blind: I find that if I start to sew from off of the fabric that it doesn't get bunched up. If my needle goes in too close to the edge then my pieces get all munched up too...

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

I will try that for sure - thank you.

Anonymous said...

One trick I learned for keeping the machine from "munching" the fabric is to sew on top of a sheet of paper. You don't have to buy anything custom or expensive. In fact, industrial/rough paper towels work the best. Just lay the fabric on top, then after stitching, rip off one side of the paper, then the other. Works like a dream when sewing chiffon or other sheer fabrics as well.

Jill Spyker - fishskin fabric said...

I tried doing the machine binding on a mug rug first - then a cat mat (you know... a big mug rug for a cat bum) and then a twin size (my sherbet pips quilt) and then a crib size.
I used this sneaky method! http://settlerspeace.typepad.com/settlers_peace/2011/03/my-thoughts-on-quilt-bindings.html
(important part - sew binding to BACK!!) but I've tried a straight stitch, extended zig zag as well as a fancy x's stitch :) i'm in LOVE with this method. So quick & easy, and actually a nice finished product!!

Inglewood Garage Door Repairs said...

Great post thanks for writing